Forget the PSL, I’ll Take a Pumpkin Margarita
By: Sarah Collins
Every fall it seems like everyone I know splits in two groups – one half go into a deep pumpkin obsession, while the other half complain about the abundance of pumpkin spice and those who are excited about it. I end up somewhere in the middle, I enjoy a pumpkin pastry, and of course pumpkin beer from time to time, but think it’s easily overdone. That makes what I’m about to say seem counterintuitive, but I’d love to share my new favorite fall recipe for pumpkin margaritas with you!
I’ve received some feedback over on Instagram that people are interested in more content focused on Tequila. I guess that’s fair, given I credit myself as a Tequila Queen in my bio! Given the time of year, I decided to look around and see if pumpkin tequila drinks were a common thing and to my surprise, there were tons of options!
Rather than make something last minute on my own, because of course I waited until we were already in full blown fall before starting this idea, I decided to try a recipe that I found and share it with you all, along with alterations I made based on my experience!
Pumpkin Spice Margarita
Serving Size: 2 cocktails
For the Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- About 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
For the Cocktail:
- 4 ounces Reposado tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 4 ounces pumpkin spice syrup
- Juice from two small limes
For the Garnish:
- Lime wedges
- Kosher salt
To Make the Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, whisking until smooth
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and stir frequently while bringing it to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat, cool, and strain into a container
To Make the Cocktail:
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of two chilled cocktail glasses and dip into a saucer filled with a combination of equal parts kosher salt and sugar
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all ingredients; shake until thoroughly chilled
- Pour the mixture equally over ice into the pre-garnished glasses
Again, you can find the original recipe here on liquor.com, but whichever version you try, I hope you have fun embracing your true fall self while enjoying these pumpkin margaritas!